For those following a recognised training course. Students are entitled to all the benefits of membership, have full voting rights and can take part in all the Institute's activities at privileged rates.Apply Here
For individuals who have involvement or association with, or have an interest in Medical Illustration but who are not working towards one of our recognised qualifications.Apply Here
For those engaged in medical illustration and who hold a professional qualification approved by Council. Professional Members are entitled to use the letters MIMI after their name.Apply Here
For companies who wish to support the aims and activities of the Institute and the profession, or whose business activities include the supply of equipment, materials and services to the profession.Apply Here
Fellowship of the Institute recognises excellent abilities and skills and is its highest distinction of the Institute. Applications may be made by Members of the Institute with a minimum of 5 years’ post-qualification experience.Apply Here
Over the past few months the QAS scheme has been undergoing a bit of a revamp. The standards are basically unchanged, It is just the organisation and layout of these standards that have been updated, albeit with a bit of modernisation thrown in for good measure. This revamp has been necessary as we aim to make the standards as clear as possible and to ensure that no matter who undertakes the audit, the results will be the same. In addition to this rewriting, we have introduced some new criteria and deleted some old criteria. This was done in order to reflect current practice and bring us into line with other Healthcare science services.
Council has agreed to waive the fees of any department wishing to be audited against level 1. This offer is only available for a short time, so please contact the QAS team to book your assessment as soon as possible.
The Institute of Medical Illustrators Quality Assurance Standards (QAS) provides a systematic framework to measure the implementation and effectiveness of quality initiatives in Medical Illustration units across the UK. It is intended that they will complement, but not duplicate, existing quality assurance programmes and provide an opportunity to share and disseminate good practice.
The QAS scheme was designed by the profession, for the profession and was robustly reviewed with the assistance of a nationally qualified audit training expert.
Healthcare is increasingly evidence-based, centering decisions on the benefits of improving the patient care pathway. A well-structured medical illustration service contributes to the care pathway at various stages with the provision of standardised photography or the production of high-quality patient information. These outcomes are supported by well-tested working practices which are ultimately recognised through the QAS scheme.
• Standards are appropriate to the service.
• Our auditors are all qualified medical illustrators.
• QAS Level 1 provides a baseline for departments who undertake training and therefore ensures that degree students are provided with all that is required to meet their training needs. All Universities placing students require a guarantee that work placements are fit for purpose. QAS Level 1 provides that guarantee.
• QAS Level 2 is designed to examine overall organisational excellence, testing not only that systems are in place, but also that knowledge and understanding of policies, procedures and protocols are apparent.
• QAS Certification can contribute to other core standards set by the NHS Legal Authority against which every Trust in England is measured and financial penalties are made. QAS certification will also be recognized in Wales and Scotland, contributing to their own national healthcare quality standards.
Cost for QAS level 1:
IMI Members - £250
Non Members -£500
Cost for QAS level 2:
IMI Members - £550
Non Members -£700
Standards Lead : Jane Tovey
Jill Fell, Carol Fleming, Melvin Bond, Gemma Baker, Jane Fallows, Bolette Jones, Gemma Clayton, Katy Hamilton, Stephen Palmar, Colin Hood, Giles Arbon
Contact details for the auditors are available in the handbook.