The Institute provides accreditation for courses leading to a professional qualification in medical illustration. Graduates of these courses can apply for professional membership of IMI. The Academy for Healthcare Science (AHCS) also accepts the IMI-accredited qualifications for applications to join the Register of Medical Illustrators.
- The Graduate and Postgraduate certificates in Clinical Photography or Graphic Design for Healthcare, Staffordshire University
- The Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Photography, Cardiff University
- The MSc in Medical Art, University of Dundee
- The MSc in Forensic Art and Facial Identification, University of Dundee
- The MSc In Medical Visualisation and Human Anatomy, Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow University.
- The Postgraduate Programme in Medical Art, Medical Artists’ Education Trust.
- The MA in Medical and Biological Illustration, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore.
The following qualifications, which are no longer running, also qualify for full professional membership:
- The BSc (Hons) in Clinical Photography, Westminster University
- The PgCert in Medical Illustration, Cardiff University
- The MSc in Medical Illustration, University of Wales
- The IIP/BIPP Medical Basic, Higher, Conjoint or Qualifying examinations
- The BSc in Medical Illustration, Glasgow Caledonian University
- The IMI/GCU BSc Conversion, Glasgow Caledonian University
- The IMI Diploma
- The IMI Professional Experience Certificate